The 'Woods' and The Richard Jefferies Bird Sanctuary Surbiton
Site of Borough Importance Grade 2 TQ 182671
|oak trees at the Woods|
The council purchased the site in 1947 and the name Richard Jefferies was bestowed on the eastern portion of the site after one of Surbiton’s most famous residents (who often mentioned our borough in his writings). The public part of the Park known as the Woods, consists of mown grass and mature woodland with encroaching self-sown sycamore and Turkey oak.
There are patches of garden shrubs such as snowberry and brambles have colonised some areas. Most frequently encountered are Ramsons a member of the onion family, giving the 'Woods' it characteristic Spring smell.
In former years, the council have commissioned breeding bird surveys, which have demonstrated a strong woodland bird community is represented here, including great spotted woodpecker and tawny owl. When the site was less overgrown, kestrels bred in boxes provided at the sanctuary. A recent brief visit showed that this site is still popular with many woodland bird species some of which are on the JNCC red-list of Conservation Concern.