Centenary Walk Richmond Park, Kingston Hill and Wimbledon Common
|Elizabeth finds Crassula|
|Government noise monitor|
Led by members of the London Geodiversity Partnership and supported by the Friends of Richmond Park and the London Natural History Society, 35 of us celebrated one hundred years since the original GA excursion 19.5.1917. We started at Gallows pond, a large landslip near Thatched Cottage House, where there are now two ponds on the springline; one was filled in due the appearance of an invasive species Crassula helmsii aka New Zealand pigmyweed. Unfortunately it appears to be back. The new masts appearing around the park are monitoring noise and pollution from Heathrow.
|Cynipid wasp, Neuroterus quercusbaccarumtion|
Before crossing to the Coombe Golf Course at Warren Road and the university site at Kingston Hill, we discussed the hand made bricks found within the eight mile wall around Richmond Park. They were made using the local clay by itinerant brick-making families in the 1650's.
|Mick drinking from the spring|
En route we had an opportunity to discuss the various granites we had seen (around the well) and their provenance. At the excellent Windmill Museum there is a history of windmills and we noted the materials used for mill stones including the expensive and highly prized French quartz.